H&M Makeup Sponge {Beauty Blender dupe?}

Good evening ladies!

I bet everyone knows about Beauty Blender, right ? Well... I do also and first time when I heard about it, I didn't hear the price as well. After hearing so many positive reviews I decided that I NEED it so  I searched it in online shops and when I saw the price I was like "OMG 15€ for a sponge?!Really??" I said that there is no way to spend so much on a sponge, unless I receive it as a gift. Months passed and I forgot about it, but recently, I was in an H&M store and I see in their makeup section one pink little thing... Can it be a Beauty Blender dupe for only 3€?





If you want to know more...

When you first look at this sponge you notice the difference of shape between it and the original Beauty Blender. The H&M Makeup Sponge looks more like Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge.  And then you notice the price difference ...
I didn't know what to expect from it, but anyway I bought it to try it out. I can't compare it with Beauty Blender (other than shape, which is obvious that is different) but I can tell you how this sponge works for me.

The using method is the same with this kind of sponges: you use it damp (when damp, it's becoming bigger as well). Oh wait, there are 2 little surprises with this sponge after you keep it under running water: IT CHANGES COLOR (and not in a good way) and it gains a nasty smell (this is easily fixed by washing it with some baby shampoo).


As you can see, our little sponge has a totally different color and it is slightly bigger.

What kind of coverage you can get using this sponge ?
It is a very dense sponge so you would say that it would help you to achieve full coverage, but actually it depends on your foundation.

  • If the foundation you are using has a runny/watery texture it will get almost all soaked in and you will achieve a sheer coverage. When I used this sponge to apply my Garnier BB Cream oil free version, I found out that the medium/full coverage that I was using with (from using Garnier BB Cream with a stippling brush), it was no longer there. 
  • If your foundation doesn't have a runny/watery texture than this sponge will actually help you achieve a better coverage that you would achieve with a foundation brush/ using your fingers. I used this sponge to apply Bourjois Healthy Mix and I was really satisfied with the results. 
So I like it with some products , I don't like it with others. BUT there is a really nasty thing that really disturbs me: when you wash it after using, the color of the foundation still stays in it. Trust me, I washed it 5 times with baby shampoo after the first use and I still couldn't get the color off .



As you can see, the texture of it changed also after using and washing, which makes me even more disappointed.

Conclusions?
  • the coverage you achieve depends on the texture of the foundation you use;
  • bleeds color; 
  • it changes texture after washing/using;
  •  impossible to clean totally. 
Do I like it ? Would I recommend it ?
  • NO and NO! I think there are better "dupes" out there that don't cause so many complications. 
I hope you enjoyed reading this review :)

xxx
Cristina

P.S. I never thought I can write so much about a sponge xD

8 comments

  1. I didn't like this either! I found your blog trough the bloghop and I just subscribed! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following :) You have a lovely blog :)

      Delete
  2. I bought the cosmopolitan version of the beauty blender from Tesco for £7 and really liked it, and I can assure you it doesn't smell funny or change shape or colour after washing x

    Stories of an English Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I have it also and I love it :) It was actually featured in my September favorites x

      Delete
  3. I have the same sponge and so far I'm happy with it, I use it for my everyday go to look. I also recommend to use olive oil when washing it. The oil helps the sponge to be spotless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I read this before I bought it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. vitamix 6300 review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobody likes to spend ten or twenty minutes chopping up ingredients. Processors make this process so much easier. best blender

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment :) It will make my day
Always check back for a reply, I am answering all the comments xo