Foundation battle: Bourjois Health Mix Foundation vs Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua

UPDATED BOURJOIS HEALTHY MIX REVIEW HERE!


Today is time for a foundation battle: Bourjois Healthy Mix vs Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. The 4th topic of the #2014BloggerChallenge is high end/ drugstore vs high street and what a better post than comparing two foundations from sister companies ?

Interesting fact: Contrary to popular belief, Bourjois owns Chanel and not the other way around!

General information and prices:
  • Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation comes in 8 shades, so not a big variety and they all tend to have a yellow undertone. Unfortunately, they don't cater for super pale or darker skin tones.It retails for about 12-15 euros.
  • Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua comes in 10 shades: 5 with warm/yellow undertone (B10, B20, B30, B40, B50) and 5 with cool/pink undertone(BR10, BR20, BR30, BR40, BR50). It retails for about 35-40 euros. 
Both foundations come in 30ml plastic bottles, with the difference that the Bourjois one has a pump while the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua is a "squeeze bottle". I don't find the lack of pump disturbing, because the spout allows you to control the quantity you want to dispense.






Color match and swatches: 
  • Bourjois Healthy Mix - I have this in the lightest shade (51 Light Vanilla) and it is a teeny tiny bit darker than my skin tone when I am on my lightest(usually around this time of the year), but nothing noticeable.
  • Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - I have this in B10 and when I just poor it out of the bottle looks crazy orange. Fortunately, all the orangeness goes away when I started to blend it into my face. B10 is a little darker than Bourjois's 51 Ligh Vanilla, so I need to make sure I always blend it down my neck. I am pretty sure in summer, this will be a spot on match, but I definitely can make it work even now, without much effort. 

Coverage, texture and finish: 
  • Coverage - With only one layer applied, definitely, Bourjois Healthy Mix gives a better coverage, but they can be build up to same point -medium coverage. Though, the final coverage which can be achieved is the same, Bourjois wins here, just because you need to use less products. 
  • Texture - Here, they are definitely equal - both Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and Bourjois Healthy Mix have a smooth, "gel-like" texture. 
  • Finish - I feel that Bourjois Healthy Mix gives a more dewy finish, which is not always the best on my oily skin. Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua gives a nice satiny finish - it looks just like skin but better. Neither of this foundation cling to dry patches. 
Longevity: 
  • Bourjois Healthy Mix lasts on my combination skin for around 6 hours (if nothing comes in contact with my face during this time) before it starts to wear off. Unfortunately, it doesn't wear off evenly and it's NOT transfer resistant. 
  • Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua lasts on my skin for around 9 hours before it starts to wear off. It wears off evenly and, on me, it is transfer resistant. 
Overall
  • I like both this foundations, but I like Vitalumiere Aqua a little more, just because it doesn't transfer and it lasts on skin more. Because of the hefty Chanel price tag, I tend to use the Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation on days I know I don't need my foundation to stay on for a long time. Also, some days I like the dewiness of the Bourjois foundation, so I use it to achieve a dewy look. 
  • I would recommend both of these foundations depending on your budget: if you are searching for an affordable everyday foundation go for Bourjois Healthy Mix, if your budget allows you to spend more, go for Chanel. 
This are my thoughts and experience, but what experience did you have with these two foundations? Which would you choose? Which is your favorite foundation? 

UPDATED BOURJOIS HEALTHY MIX REVIEW HERE!
xoxo
Cristina

6 comments

  1. I have this Chanel, and i like it so much!
    http://femeklick.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Bourjois Healthy Mix a lot and I like the dewy finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the dewy finish also, but in winter when my skin is not so oily :)

      Delete
  3. I just received a sample of the Chanel in #30 and I was wondering if I would like it or not. I think it might be a touch too dark but I'm not sure. Anywho, I don't see many reviews and I suspect it's because of the price. I think I might work up the nerve to give my sample a try. Darn it, I just remembered the Chanel counter where I live had an event yesterday that I was supposed to attend. Grrr. Oh well, thanks for sharing this post on the #wakeupwednesdaylinky. I'm Tiki from Grow It Girl and one of the new co-host. Hope to see you again this week.
    Tiki | Grow It Girl

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment :) It will make my day
Always check back for a reply, I am answering all the comments xo